Gluten-free Christmas pudding
Every year a new Christmas tradition starts somewhere in the world.
At GemLife Pacific Paradise, homeowners Fiona and Gerald did just that in 2008 when they introduced Sago Pudding to the family’s festive feast menu.
Married 37 years, the couple started a new family tradition at Christmas after their daughter was diagnosed as a celiac, having an immune reaction to eating gluten. All these years later, Fiona’s sago pudding is not only loved by her daughter but the entire family.
“We didn’t want her to go without Christmas pudding so I started cooking the gluten-free sago pudding which was much lighter in texture, and I could make it in a day,” she said.
Fiona’s Gluten-free Sago Christmas Plum Pudding
Fiona & Gerald, GemLife Pacific Paradise
4 tbsp sago
1 ¾ cups milk
1 ½ cups gluten-free breadcrumbs (Fiona uses fruit bread)
375g mixed fruit that have been soaked in brandy or any other liquor
1/2 cup chopped raw macadamia nuts
1 tbsp butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Soak sago in 3/4 cup of milk in a basin for 2 hours or overnight.
- Add breadcrumbs, alcohol-soaked fruit, nuts, butter, sugar and spice.
- Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in remaining milk and add to sago mixture.
- Pour into a steamed pudding bowl.
- Steam – covered for 4 hours.
- Serve hot with brandy sauce, custard and or ice-cream.